Oh, good old award season. I’m sure a lot of you watched the awards show a little while back, if not only to swoon over all the gorgeous dresses and hairdos and makeup (like me, haha). Scoping out all the glam celebrity looks are basically the whole reason I watch the awards shows. And by basically, I mean completely. After watching the other night, I’d say the majority of the stars had both neutral colored dresses and neutral colored makeup looks. There were a few gorgeous smokey eyes that stood out to me though, and that got me to thinking about what I’d do for my own red carpet-worthy makeup.
Here is what I came up with after playing around with my makeup for a little while- a sparkly purple smokey eye. I LOVE it.
Would you believe I achieved this look with the help of Q-tips Precision Tips? They are an absolute must have beauty tool for me these days.
My mom has been using regular Q-tips for years to clean up her makeup and nails, and I’ve grown up doing the same thing, so when Q-tips released the Q-tips Precision Tips, things got even easier for us. The tapered end makes for super easy nail polish cleanup if you’re messy like me and manage to get polish all around the edges of your nails, and is also great for creating the perfect smokey liner, as well as cleaning up any fall out from eyeshadow or mascara mishaps. The beauty uses for Q-tip Precision Tips are basically endless, but I’m sure I’ve given you enough reasons to go buy a pretty pink pack of your own to add to your makeup drawer. And okay, if you need ONE more reason, let it be that they’re only around $3.29 for a 170-count pack. Need I say more? I don’t think so! So on that note, onto the tutorial- because I’m sure you’re interested to see how I used the Q-tips Precision Tips in this look!
1. Start by blending a shimmery light taupe shadow into your crease and up towards your brow bone using windshield wiper motions.
2. Next, pat a sparkly purple shadow onto your lid. I used this one, but be careful not to sweep it around too much as it does have a lot of fallout, but the color is gorgeous so it’s worth it!
3. Line your top lid with a black pencil liner, as close to your lashline as possible. Then, using a Q-tip Precision Tip, lightly smudge the liner both into your lashline and upwards a bit to create a smokey effect.
4. Using what is leftover on your Q-tip Precision Tip after smudging your liner, lightly line the outer half of your bottom lid. This doesn’t need to be a perfect line, you want it to be smokey.
5. Apply a black shadow with a light hand on the outer v of your eyelid and lightly blend into the crease and in the direction of your lower lashline to meet with the smokey liner you applied with your Q-tip Precision Tip.
6. Take your first light taupe shadow and blend that back into your crease to smooth out any harsh edges.
7. Apply a couple coats of your favorite mascara, and you’re done! Use a slightly damp Q-tip Precision Tip to clean up any fall out from the eyeshadow underneath your eyes. Take another slightly damp Q-tip Precision Tip and use it to clean up the edge of your shadow from the outer corner of your eye to your brow- this will create a nice, clean line for your final eye look.
I hope you loved this sparkly purple smokey eye tutorial as much as I do! Have you discovered the magic that is Q-tips Precision Tips when it comes to beauty yet?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.